Log4E requires JRE 1.8.x or above. See the FAQ how to start Eclipse with JRE 1.8.x.
Installing a plugin is not difficult and you may already familiar with that process.
This is a failsafe guide to install the plugin. Consider that your Eclipse version is installed in C:\Program Files\eclipse:
- Shutdown Eclipse
- Delete the directory C:\Program Files\eclipse\features\de.jayefem.log4e.feature_xxx on your file system (your previous settings will be NOT deleted)
- Delete both directories C:\Program Files\eclipse\plugins\de.jayefem.log4e_xxx and C:\Program Files\eclipse\plugins\de.jayefem.log4e.help_xxx on your file system (your previous settings will be NOT deleted)
- Start Eclipse
- Use the Update Manager of Eclipse as decribed below OR download the zip-file from the Download section and unzip it to C:\Program Files\eclipse
- Restart Eclipse
- If the installation failed start Eclipse again with the '-clean' parameter
The easiest way to install is to use the Install/Update Feature of Eclipse.
How to use the Install/Update Feature:
- Configure Proxy: Go to Preferences > Install/Uptdate
Check Enable HTTP Proxy Connection and fill in host and port.
- Eclipse 2:
Go to Install/Update Perspective
Choose New in the Context Menu of Feature Updates view and fill in a new Site Bookmark with any name (e.g. "Log4E") and the Eclipse Update URL specified below.
- Eclipse 3:
Go to Help > Software Updates > Find and Install ... > Search for new features to install in the main menu.
Fill in a New Remote Site with any name (e.g. "Log4E") and the Eclipse Update URL specified below.
Note that the latest free version is only available for download and is not available at the update site.
Eclipse Update URL: http://log4e.jayefem.de/update